5 Major Causes of Home Fires
You can’t always predict when a home fire is going to happen, but preventing them goes a long way towards making sure your safety and property are assured. Do you have any of these common electrical hazards in your home?
5. Space Heater: Admittedly, this one was obvious. Leaving a space heater on unattended or running for extended periods of time is what makes space heaters the leading cause of home fires caused by heating equipment. They account for over half (53%) of direct property damage in these situations.
4. Fireplaces: Similar to the space heater problem, fireplaces are woefully under-maintained. If you haven’t checked your chimney connector in a while, cleaned the chimney, or cleaned the contained space around the fireplace, now is the time to do it! 31% of fires involving a heating element are caused by fireplaces or chimneys.
3. Having combustibles in your garage (or wherever your water heater is): You read that right! An astonishing 21% of home fires and 26% of property damage that involve a water heater are caused by having flammable materials like paint, bug repellent, turpentine (paint thinner) or gasoline nearby. If that sounds like your garage, you may want to rethink your storage situation for your more volatile household essentials.
2. Faulty Equipment: “Mechanical Failure or Malfunction” is responsible for 14% of fires caused. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, roughly 50,000 home structure fires reported involved an electrical failure or malfunction. Sometimes it actually is the machine’s fault! That doesn’t mean doing routine checks on electrical equipment like hair irons and dryers, chargers, power strips, computers, and consoles is off the to-do list; it just means you might want to check your user manuals one more time!
1. Failure to clean: Yeah. It’s no ones favorite pass-time (maybe ours, actually!) but cleaning chimneys, blowing dust from space heaters, and ensuring appliances get their routine cleanings and fittings for essential hardware (hoses, bolts, etc) is imperative enough that “failure to clean” equipment was responsible for 28% of all house fires in 2011-2015. Luckily, SERVPRO of Reno East / Central Sparks makes cleaning our business; give us a call to make sure your home is free of fire-hazard-causing debris.