Cleaning Mold: What Would You Use?
If you were asked, “What would you use to clean mold?” What would your answer be?
If you are like most people, bleach would be your first choice. That is understandable; at one time this was the recommendation of the EPA in their publication A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home.
However, the last printing of this guide states: “The use of a biocide, such as chlorine bleach, is not recommended as a routine practice during mold remediation” Despite that change, the belief that bleach is still the “go to” for many attempting to remove mold has not changed. Part of the problem is, bleach containers list that they are effective against mold when used as directed. However the directions also state: For use on hard, nonporous, pre-cleaned surfaces Remediation of mold requires cleaners that can reach deep down into wood and other porous building materials to get to the roots of the mold. For that, they need special biocides and mildewcides.
In addition household bleach is 99% water. You may actually be giving mold the moisture it needs to survive. The water and mold damage specialists at SERVPRO of Reno East / Central Sparks have the experience, the expertise, and the advanced training that enables us to get your property restored quickly and thoroughly, "Like it never even happened."
For more information and to keep up with our tips, follow SERVPRO on Twitter: @SERVPRO9944 And, stay in the loop on Facebook with us, too: SERVPRO9944